17 Aug 2021

How the internet raised me and ruined me





                                         
Internet: the thing that raised me to what I am today.


Sadly, I never really got to experience the joy of life without internet. I was that one kid in middle school who grew up on the internet. Watching DIYs was enough for my imagination, reading e-books was worth the experience of collecting the words and visualizing the story, playing games online was better than going out and playing with the local kids in the blazing hot days of summer. But I never actually got to experience the joy of life. It was me being stuck to the web 24/7 thinking it is all that matters and nothing beyond this is better. Guess I was wrong all along; it was useful and I was happy but that happiness was only temporary and lasted for a short period of time. 

The world of web was only half-true. It only raised my expectations and nothing more. A manipulative friend it was; at first it lead me to the door of doom telling me, 'Everything is way better than in reality, you get the full exposure around the globe with just one little click', then slowly chaining me to the supposed 'reality' furthermore ruining my social life. 

Why am I an introvert today? It's because I never really worked on my social skills, even though I found comfort in being by myself it still made me fear the reality and get away from it. I didn't go to social gatherings much and even if I did, I stuck to my very dear manipulative best friend- The Internet.

It wasn't really an antagonist at first or is. It's just that it tries to be a very handy application in terms of education, travel and communication but if you have a closer look, it has a dark side to it as well. 
There are multiple videos and websites which are harmful for this generation, insinuating violence etc.

Hiding behind the screen doesn't solve problems, instead it leads to more. Losing contact with your family and friends is one of the examples. In fact studies show that, people who are spending too much time online are more likely to develop social anxiety, depression, low self-confidence etc. 
It is anonymously behind mental health problems! So it is better to join your family and friends, go out for morning walks, take break amidst work/study sessions, play outdoors, and pick up a hobby to get out of this toxic cycle of being stuck and trapped to your phone. 

Although it has proved itself to be useful in many different ways which we can't deny either like Online booking and orders, E-commerce, Education, Entertainment, and Communication without having to travel to the post office to deliver a letter! 

And lastly I'd like to quote something..


"Technology is a useful servant, but a dangerous master" 
 -Christian Louis Lange

No comments:

Post a Comment